Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Raw Reflection

I realize that I'm not eating very much. I haven't entered my food information into a calorie counter thingie, because a) I don't care, b) I'm merely eating to stave off the discomfort of hunger and c) it's way too much work to figure all that out. There are a few things I might be accidentally leaving out, like cups of orange juice and fistfuls of raisins. I just don't want anyone getting all parental on me and worrying about caloric intake. I'm a big girl, I can handle it.

Real raw foodies would do a much better job at making sure they are eating a balanced healthy diet in order to healthfully meet the required needs for vitamins and minerals etc, but I'm cutting myself some slack because a) this is new to me and I need some time to learn, b) I'm not near home, nor am I near any sort of normal grocery store and all of my resources brought from home have quickly depleted and c) I quite enjoy the routine of eating the same yummy things (ie bananas and nuts and avocados) day in and day out.

If this moment happened to be 12:01 am on September 1st, I would consume in no particular order, a) a warm fresh out of the oven chocolate chip cookie, b) a double tall latte with extra foam and c) a bag of ketchup chips.

But until then, I'll trudge along this unbeaten path towards freedom. Not really, it just sounded good.


2 comments:

  1. I can barely read it. I skim through, feeling panicky because I am inferior. Don't get me wrong - you definitely do NOT come across as superior. I am just recognizing good health and feeling guilty that it's not mine.

    I want to do it, too. But here are the things stopping me: I think that I don't have enough time to learn and prepare. I will miss socializing/eating out with friends. People will think I'm weird.

    I want to be talked into it.

    The things you write, though - the combinations of food and the recipes - it's so foreign - do I really have what it takes to figure it all out?

    I want to be talked into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From what I've been researching, the best way to move towards a raw diet is to simply *add* raw food to your own diet day by day until one day you're eating mostly raw. I tend to be an all-or-nothing person, thus my cold-turkey approach. But it's really not that hard.

    And as for what people think of me? They already think I'm weird, and so who really cares? You won't miss socializing/eating with friends. Every single restaraunt has salads! But remember that you don't need to be legalistic... it's not like you "can't" eat cheeseburgers or you'll die! It's that you choose not to at that moment.

    I have a lot more to say on all of this. I'll save it for another post.

    ReplyDelete